Re: rpath

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: rpath
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:36:54 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:04:27AM CET:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote on 10/12/2009 06:16:40:
* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:50:14AM CET:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote on 08/12/2009 20:13:13:
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/x/y
   make
   make install DESTDIR=/some/dir

I getting back to this now that my libtool problem seem to be over.
Pondring on DESTDIR, I wonder if there is a way to set a default DESTDIR at
configure time so one does have to remember/type DESTDIR=.. at every make

No, but you can just `export DESTDIR' in your environment.

Yeah, but that isn't going to work in here, too easy to get wrong. I image
I could add something to configure.ac that will allow me to set it at configure
time? Not sure what would work though, any ideas?

Well you can
   AC_ARG_VAR([DESTDIR], [perform staged installation using DESTDIR])

This require makefiles generated by configure script to contain line like this one:
address@hidden@
otherwise it is useless ....

I won't like to discuss more what happen if user forget DESTDIR as it is not required "at every make". DESTDIR is usefull only if user would like to create distribution archive and for every package DESTDIR is good to point to clean directory tree. Other point is that on unix(linux) user work under unprivileged account and only for install is required a privileged account(root).

but it will require your users to either specify it at configure time
already, or, if they want to specify it at `make install' time only,
use GNU make.