Re: rpath

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: Re: rpath
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:05:13 +0100

Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> wrote on 12/12/2009 07:20:05:

> On 12/12/2009 12:57 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Hi Roumen,
> >
> > * Roumen Petrov wrote on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 09:36:54PM CET:
> >>
> >> This  require makefiles generated by configure script to contain
> >> line like this one:
> >> address@hidden@
> >
> > Right.  If you wouldn't use Automake, you'd have to add that line
> > yourself.
>
> The whole purpose of DESTDIR is being set at install-time and not to be
> AC_SUBST'ed anywhere.
>
> I.e. doing things like outlined above would contradict it's purpose.

It doesn't seem to any other way as far as I can tell.

We build our embedded SW with a different prefix each time to be able
to separate the different builds alongside each other on the target.
Each build is performed in a private DESTDIR which will vary depending on
the actual arch and product.
Setting DESTDIR via some script for one time builds works fine but
for repeated build during development where one types make DESTDIR=...
manually does not work so well.
Ideally one should be able to set DESTDIR during configure but be able to
override that by typing make DESTDIR=...

 Jocke