Re: rpath

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: Re: rpath
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:26:18 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote on 13/12/2009 11:18:31:

> * Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:05:13PM CET:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote on 12/12/2009 07:20:05:
> > >
> > > The whole purpose of DESTDIR is being set at install-time and not to be
> > > AC_SUBST'ed anywhere.
> > >
> > > I.e. doing things like outlined above would contradict it's purpose.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to any other way as far as I can tell.
> >
> > We build our embedded SW with a different prefix each time to be able
> > to separate the different builds alongside each other on the target.
> > Each build is performed in a private DESTDIR which will vary depending on
> > the actual arch and product.
> > Setting DESTDIR via some script for one time builds works fine but
> > for repeated build during development where one types make DESTDIR=...
> > manually does not work so well.
> > Ideally one should be able to set DESTDIR during configure but be able to
> > override that by typing make DESTDIR=...
>
> Readoing your reply, I can only guess that you have misunderstood the
> purpose of DESTDIR completely and shouldn't be using it at all.
> Builds happen in build trees, which you can separate by just running
> configure from separate directories.  Build trees have nothing to do

Yes, I do this.

> with --prefix nor DESTDIR, which both revolve around install trees.
> In case you actually meant separate install trees, then use different
> values for --prefix.  DESTDIR is only for things like "I am building a
> package intended for /usr, but right now I am not the super-user, so
> `make install' will fail unless I temporarily divert the installation
> elsewhere so that I can still make a binary pacakge from the
> installation".

Lets see, this is what I do:
I am building for /opt/appl/xxxx on the target using a build tree
outside my sources: I want to "install" my apps/libs into a dir
next to my build tree. Once everything is installed into the
temporary install tree, I build a package from the files in the install
tree into some sort of tar ball which I can transfer to the target and unpack
it using the same tree structure as the install tree I just built.

Currently I build with prefix that is $(build_tree)/opt/appl/xxxx
but then rpath will include the build_tree and that is not ideal.
Perhaps there is a simpler way to set rpath?