why relink on successive "make install"?

From: Tom Vaughan
Subject: why relink on successive "make install"?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:48:19 -0800

Hi,

I have a pretty vanilla shared library on the latest Ubuntu Karmic
Koala that is built with autoconf, automake, and libtool. I've noticed
that if I "make install" I always see "libtool: install: warning:
relinking `librestest.la'" even when I know nothing has changed. Why?
Is there a way I could prevent this?

And I notice that it's only .libs/librestest.so.0.0.0T that is
relinked (note the trailing 'T'), not .libs/librestest.so.0.0.0. Of
course there is no need to relink .libs/librestest.so.0.0.0, because
nothing has changed. But why would .libs/librestest.so.0.0.0T be
relinked? What purpose does this duplicate (exactly the same size)
library serve?

Thanks. I've been a long time autotools user. Thank you very much for
this extremely helpful suite of software.

-Tom

P.S. My search on the interwebs for answers turned up nil. If the
answers are out there somewhere and I missed them, please direct me to
them, and sorry about that.