Re: relinking and finish warnings

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: relinking and finish warnings
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:45:55 +0100

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 08:57:07AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote on 16/12/2009 22:56:44:
> > > Also, how do i get rid of the "remember to run `libtool --finish" warning?
> >
> > You don't, that warning is not bogus.  If you don't run libtool --finish
> > yourself (when the libraries appear in their final location), it may be
> > that the installed libraries are not usable before the next reboot (at
> > which time systems typically run ldconfig).
>
> OK, then I will go back to using prefix=$(DESTDIR)/opt/appl/xxx instead.

Huh?  That's even more wrong, as it will put the wrong paths in the
installed files (both the .la files, and in DT_RPATH entries for
programs and libraries linking against your libraries)!  You may just
have to get used to the fact that after a DESTDIR installation, things
are, _out of necessity_, not finished yet.  There is no other way.

> I have noticed though that one should be able to "hardcode" rpath but I
> haven't
> figured out how to do that in configure/configure.ac, any pointers?

Run paths are automatically hard-coded for libtool deplibs that are not
in directories the runtime linker searches by default.

You can add run paths by using -R DIR in the link flags.