libtool changes argv[0]

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: libtool changes argv[0]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:32:44 +0100

Now that I am using libtool's .la objects when build our apps
we notice that the executables in the build tree becomes
a script that run the binary form the .libs subdir.
This has the side effect that out apps notices a change in argv[0]
when we run them from within the build tree.
Previously argv[0] was x/y/z, now it becomes x/y/.libs/z and
our apps does not like that.
Is it possible to do something about the change of argv[0]?

libtool version 2.2.6b, gentoo

    Jocke