Re: Getting executable to link to libtool-built library

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: Getting executable to link to libtool-built library
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 06:25:15 -0600

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Alberto Luaces <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Bruce writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two related programs (tuxmath and tuxtype) that share a lot of
>> code in a human-maintained, copy-and-past fashion.  We have been
>> working on moving the overlapping code into a separate library
>> package, libt4kcommon.  All the programs use Autoconf, Automake, and
>> Gettext where needed.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the probably obvious step I'm missing?
>
> Can you try
>
> configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
>
> ? Also check that /usr/local/lib is present in your /etc/ld.so.conf or
> your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

OK, I can get it to work post-installation with either LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or the ldconfig+/etc/ld.so.conf mechanism.  What I want to learn is
the "right" way to do this as a programmer/packager from an autotools
perspective so that a user can do  "./configure; make; sudo make
install"  on my lib package (libt4kcommon)and on my executable package
(tuxmath) and have it work.

Ideally, I would like to be able build a tarball that has both the lib
and executable for standalone installation, but have them be
packagable separately for e.g. Debian.  Perhaps this is where nested
packages fit in?  Maybe I should move this to the Autoconf list?

Thanks,

David Bruce