Re: Getting executable to link to libtool-built library

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: Getting executable to link to libtool-built library
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:45:16 +0100

David Bruce writes:

> OK, I can get it to work post-installation with either LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> or the ldconfig+/etc/ld.so.conf mechanism.  What I want to learn is
> the "right" way to do this as a programmer/packager from an autotools
> perspective so that a user can do  "./configure; make; sudo make
> install"  on my lib package (libt4kcommon)and on my executable package
> (tuxmath) and have it work.

This is user responsibility; if the user installs a library in some
directory, the user has also to tell its system to look for libraries
there. For example, in my Debian system, /usr/local/lib is included by
default in the directories' list to be looked at when searching libs.

> Ideally, I would like to be able build a tarball that has both the lib
> and executable for standalone installation, but have them be
> packagable separately for e.g. Debian.  Perhaps this is where nested
> packages fit in?  Maybe I should move this to the Autoconf list?

Debian packagers can split the tarball compilation results in as many
packages as they wish, so I think only one tarball is fine unless the
program or the library are going to have a wildly different rate of
development.

--

Alberto