Re: libtool, llvm-gcc, failing C++ exceptions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool, llvm-gcc, failing C++ exceptions
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:33:56 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 05:11:56PM CET:
Using 'llvm-gcc' (GCC frontend to llvm compiler) I find that C++
exceptions do not work (are not caught) in the built programs.

Over the years I have encountered a number of cases where C++
exceptions don't work,

Do you use dlopened modules?  If yes, try adding -export-dynamic to the
link flags of the program, and try enabling global symbol resolution for
opened modules.

There is the option to use dlopened modules, but the problem also occurs in a static build.

Do you mix C++ code with other code, e.g., code compiled with the C
compiler?  Some non-GCC compilers may need other switches for exception
handling to work right, e.g., +eh for the HP-UX compiler.

There is of course C code in the equation. I don't know how to avoid that. C++ exceptions are not being thrown across/through C code. Exceptions are working fine with the HP-UX compiler.

The only compilers where I have seen C++ exception problems are ones which are either GCC or using GCC's front-end (like llvm-gcc).

The issue may or may not be related to libtool.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn