tries to link against uninstalled libs

From: megamic
Subject: tries to link against uninstalled libs
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:41:19 +0000

Hi

I am trying to compile cfengine 3.03 under Solaris10/SPARC. My system previously had a large number of Sun Freeware packages (which install under /usr/local/) that have now been removed.

However, during link libtool carps with the following errors:
grep: can't open /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.la
Can't open /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.la
libtool: link: `/usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.la' is not a valid libtool archive

Cfengine does not link against fontconfig, however fontconfig was one of the packages that was previously installed then removed. I cant work out why libtool is trying to link against a library that is not being used or mentioned in the package being built.

I have no idea why libtool would try and link against non-existant, stale libraries, and would appreciate any advice that could help resolve the issue. Would removing/installing libtool itself possibly be a solution?

Cheers