Re: genarating map files for libraries

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: genarating map files for libraries
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:56:44 -0600

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:32:08PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Prokash,
>
> * Prokash Sinha wrote on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:28:30PM CET:
> > I've an open source project that I'm trying to port to Mac os X. The project
> > builds a shared library ( i.e. dylib). It builds fine, but I can't seem to
> > generate the map file.
> >
> > I was trying to insert some linker flags in the Makefile.in like the
> > following -
> >
> > -Wl,-map,foo.map
> >
> > -Wl,-Map -Wl, foo.map
> >
> > but libtool's link step is flagging error saying foo.map file or directory
> > does not exist.
>
> Well, libtool does not create your map file itself; you need to ensure
> that it exists.  You shouldn't have a space in the command line before
> foo.map.  If these hints don't help you, then I suggest you post the
> output of the failing 'make' command.

Hi Ralf, Prokash,

Apple's ld takes a -map <file> argument that generates a map file along
with the output. A quick test using ./libtool --mode=link --tag=CC gcc
-o libfoo.la foo.lo -rpath /foo -Wl,-map,foo.map works for me though.

Prokash, please show the link line, the error, ld -v, and ./libtool
--version.

Thanks,
Peter
--