Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64

From: Matěj Týč
Subject: Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:54:47 +0100

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 23:26 +0800, JonY wrote:
> I suggest the following naming scheme.
>
> mingw.org:    lib<name>-<major>.dll (unchanged)
> Cygwin:               cyg<name>-<major>.dll (unchanged)
> mingw-w64(64):        lib64<name>-<major>.dll
> mingw-w64(32):        lib32<name>-<major>.dll
>
> libtool should also check if GCC "-m32" or "-m64" is used, and select
> the proper namespace accordingly (mingw-w64 GCC can do multilib).
>
> Comments?

AFAIK if you use automake, you have to have something like the following
line in Makefile.am:
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
This means that the 'lib' prefix doesn't actually come from mingw, but
from your automake setup, right?

In order to be able to change the library name in a smarter way,
something like
lib_LTLIBRARIES = @address@hidden # LIBrary PREfix
would be needed, am I right? The LIBPRE value would be determined by the
configure script. Or am I wrong at some point?

This should allow some library name modifications as proposed here.
What I would like to see one day though is that I am able to produce a
library named foo.dll instead of libfoo.dll without any workarounds.
That lib prefix tends to scare Windows users, but I am sure you know
that too :-) I was not aware of possible conflicts that were mentioned
here though.