'Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive ...'

From: TigaTone
Subject: 'Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive ...'
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:55:23 -0800 (PST)

I'm seeing this warning below and its wrecking my link.

I'm buildiing 'Aubio'  from aubio.org. It depends on fftw3 lib. I've
successfully retrieved the fftw3 lib and built it, and 'make installed' it.

However when trying to link the final stage of Aubio, it fails with the
below error.

----

$ make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/John/Externals/aubio/aubio-0.3.2/src'
make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/John/Externals/aubio/aubio-0.3.2/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -Wall -Wextra -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/l
ocal/include   -g -O2  -no-undefined -o libaubio.la -rpath /usr/local/lib
-versi
on-info 3:1:1 phasevoc.lo mathutils.lo fft.lo sample.lo hist.lo scale.lo
resampl
e.lo onsetdetection.lo tss.lo peakpick.lo biquad.lo pitchdetection.lo
pitchmcomb
.lo pitchyin.lo pitchschmitt.lo pitchfcomb.lo pitchyinfft.lo beattracking.lo
ons
et.lo tempo.lo filter.lo -L/usr/local/lib -lfftw3 -lm   -L/usr/local/lib
-lsampl
erate    -lpthread

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/usr/local/lib/libff
tw3.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
rm -fr  .libs/libaubio.dll.a
-------

I'd appreciate any observations that anyone has. Cheers. I've been staring
at this for too long.