Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Extend libtool dll namespaces for mingw-w64
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:55:23 +0100

Hi Dave,

thanks for the feedback.

* Dave Korn wrote on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:16:37PM CET:
>   This is GCC PR40125, and I don't suppose I'm going to be able to fix it
> before 4.5.0.  Kai suggested we should leave them in gcc's private dir (which
> is where the language runtime import libs go, not libdir), but libdir is as
> good as any.
>
>   I think that in all the focus on bitness, and whether or not it is necessary
> to separate 32-vs-64, has distracted from the very different issue of how we
> keep 32-bit MinGW DLLs from clashing with 32-bit MinGW-W64 DLLs.  That is a
> situation *exactly* analagous to the Cygwin-vs-MinGW clash, and I think it
> fully justifies using a separate prefix.
[...]
>   So I think what I'd conclude is that MinGW-W64 should have its own prefix,
> but it should be the same one for 32-bit and 64-bit W64 DLLs.

That would be fine with me.  But I suggest that any policy decision for
such a naming change should be done by those projects (MinGW-W64, MinGW,
or both), documented there, a flag day announced, and then libtool
should follow suit, not the other way round.

Or maybe, just maybe, they'll re-merge before it gets that far ...