Re: silent installs

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:28:52 -0500

On 1/31/10 6:10 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
Ralf Wildenhues<address@hidden>  wrote on 2010/01/31 08:38:38:
My problem with that change is that, the relinking and finish
really are information that some users need to know about.
If you don't --finish, then your libraries won't be found by
the runtime linker.  If relinking happens as another user than
the one who ran `make all', that is a problem to know about, too,
because it can lead to problems with file ownership and directory
write permission.
But they are not errors so they should not be directed to stderr no matter what.
Then one can argue if --silent should suppress these msgs too or not.

Moving these messages to stdout would have the positive side effect that `make distcheck > /dev/null' would become silent.

That would be nice but is not worth it, if it means users miss the --finsih warning and end up sending bug reports to me about runtime errors.

Thanks,
Peter