Re: silent installs

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:30:55 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> My problem with that change is that, the relinking and finish really are
> information that some users need to know about.  If you don't --finish,
> then your libraries won't be found by the runtime linker.  If relinking
> happens as another user than the one who ran `make all', that is a
> problem to know about, too, because it can lead to problems with file
> ownership and directory write permission.

Perhaps libtool could add some more logic around when that text is
displayed?  It's always been noise for me; I've never needed to run
--finish despite the message, presumably because of the platform on which
I'm running libtool.  If libtool could suppress that message unless the
platform actually needs to do something at --finish, that would probably
solve the problem.  That would also solve the problem of people like me
who are so used to that message and so used to it being useless that we've
mentally filtered it out and wouldn't see it even if we needed to.

On Linux, all that --finish appears to do is update the library symlinks.
I don't understand why libtool thinks that needs to be done, given that it
installs the library symlinks itself properly in the first place.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>