libtool versioning

From: Jef Driesen
Subject: libtool versioning
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 00:12:03 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the libtool current:revision:age versioning scheme. I think I understand how it works, but I noticed that filename of the shared library seems to get different numbers (current-age.age.revision). Is that expected?

One of the reasons why I would like to know the filename is that I'm also building a Windows DLL (it's a cross platform library) where I would like to include a version resource. And one of the fields in a Windows version resource is the "OriginalFilename". It seems that dlls get filename libfoo-x.dll, where x is the number current-age. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Jef