Re: libtool versioning

From: Matěj Týč
Subject: Re: libtool versioning
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 17:45:26 +0200

>> I'm trying to understand the libtool current:revision:age versioning
>> scheme. I think I understand how it works, but I noticed that filename of
>> the shared library seems to get different numbers
>> (current-age.age.revision). Is that expected?
>
> The filename generation is dependent on the OS.  It is usually best not to
> pay any attention to the filenames at all unless you are switching from some
> other existing numbering scheme and need to avoid a collision.  I keep these
> notes in my configure script (taken from various libtool related
> documentation) so that I remember how things work:

If I have understood correctly, the whole LTversion stuff has only one
purpose - to inform users what have they installed.
You can't tell to libtool like "link only with libfoo of LTversion >=
5" or something like that, neither you can "read" the version using an
AC macro or libtool itself.
So the whole LTversion concept looks quite attractive, but,
unfortunatelly, not so useful.
If this is correct, I could try some doc patch describing the actual
importance of LTversion stuff.
Regards,
Matěj