Re: libtool versioning

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool versioning
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 19:58:01 +0200

Hello,

* Matěj  Týč wrote on Mon, May 03, 2010 at 05:45:26PM CEST:
> If I have understood correctly, the whole LTversion stuff has only one
> purpose - to inform users what have they installed.

Wrong.  It provides a fairly portable abstraction of different
versioning schemes implemented in different operating systems/libc's.
By definition, libtool cannot do better than what the native system
provides.  In cases where the native system provides even less than what
the libtool versioning is able to express, such as w32, it has to resort
to library renaming to get even a chance of a kind of "versioning".