Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 10:11:28 +0200

* Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:13:50AM CEST:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Sat, May 22, 2010 at 09:44:46AM CEST:
> >> If I read your response correctly, all is needed is to set:
> >> lt_cv_deplibs_check_method="pass_all"
> >> For mingw hosts.
> >>
> >> But I am no expert in libtool, and it is a complex set of macros.
> >> All I know that in the final result libtool script setting:
> >> deplibs_check_method="pass_all"
> >>
> >> Makes it work.
> >
> > But breaks other things on this system.
>
> Can you please outline [logically] a solution for achieving this
> without breaking other things?
> If you give me a hint I can check it out and produce another solution.

Not easy, because I haven't analyzed the issues that show up when
setting pass_all.  I know it breaks a few testsuite tests (and I fear
it breaks more things that we don't test in our testsuite), but it's
been a while and I haven't been taking good notes back then.  It might
be that some of the libtool logic is flawed wrt. the w32 semantics.

> Linking between DLL and static library is valid in this platform.

There were some arguing that it shouldn't be done out of
consistency/portability reasons: users could come to expect that this
would be possible everywhere.  I'm not sure where I stand here;
certainly, the testsuite failures encountered provide the more stringent
argument.

> Maybe accept "current ar archive" file type will perform better?

Sorry, I don't understand this suggestion.

Thanks,