Re: Question about relink_command

From: Alex Farber
Subject: Re: Question about relink_command
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:41:08 +0300

Thank you for information.
Alex

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Mon, May 31, 2010 at 05:53:26PM CEST:
> AFAIK Linux binaries/libraries can be built in the build tree with
> no hardcoded references to other objects in the build tree, so they
> can always be copied into the install tree and continue working
> (although libtool has to wrap build tree binaries in a script to
> make sure that running them there picks up build tree libraries in
> preference to install tree libraries).

Yes.  While the above is true, there is another factor that comes into
play on GNU/Linux systems: we exploit the fact that we can hard-code
the paths to uninstalled deplibs in order to start uninstalled programs
without a wrapper script (I think).  That however means that uninstalled
libraries or programs with uninstalled dependencies will get relinked.

Similar reasoning applies to a couple of other systems IIRC.  Also, some
other systems beside HP-UX have the problem of hard-coding uninstalled
paths by default.