Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:26:20 +0700

Hi Vincent,

On 8 Jun 2010, at 15:17, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
>> [[Adding Libtool List]]
>>
>> On 8 Jun 2010, at 08:42, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> Which is why I don't think even the Peter's long-ready MSVC patches, nor
>>> my pile of pending patches, are candidates for this extremely shortened
>>> release cycle.
>>
>> Regarding these patches, I honestly have paid very little attention to
>> Windows fixes for libtool because I can't test them,
>
> even if you install mingw cross toolchain on linux ? You can even test
> Windows CE with cegcc on linux

Okay, perhaps "can't" was too strong.  A better characterisation of my
prior attitude to Windows patches is:

I honestly have paid very little attention to Windows fixes for libtool
because I don't have or want access to a Windows machine, and don't
want to set up a cross compilation test environment on a Linux VM.

I suppose I could buy a Windows license, and a VMWare license, and then
install all of that good stuff with cygwin and/or msys and/or mingw, on
my mac,  but I genuinely have no interest in Windows these days.  I do
understand that Windows is very important for others, and I am willing
to do all the release management and cross testing to ensure windows
patches didn't regress on the dozen or so Unix platforms I do care about.
And, I'm very happy that Peter and Chuck do have the inclination to look
after the Windows side, and I'm hoping to support them better from here
on out.

Gary V. Vaughan (address@hidden)