Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:24:44 +0200

Hi Christopher!

Den 2010-06-08 15:06 skrev Christopher Hulbert:
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Gary V. Vaughan<address@hidden>  wrote:
I think it important to merge pr-msvc-support into master one way or
another so that it doesn't get ignored for any longer than it has already.

I would like it to not get ignore longer either, but just looking at
the branch after pulling, I still don't see a hint of support for
either Intel or PGI compilers on windows, both of which my changes
support. That means I will likely have to continue to keep a local
branch with all my changes. In addition, I might have to work around
any issues created from the merge of the pr-msvc-support branch.

So, me working around issus with your patches is better exactly how?

Obviously making more work for 1 person shouldn't stop libtool
progress, but I think taking the time to come up with a plan on what
will be supported when the branch is merged in and making it useful
for people like me using other native Windows compilers (again, Intel
and PGI) would be nice. No matter what, I am sure I can work
with/around whatever happens, but I would certainly prefer that the
official libtool have more Windows support than at least I can see
from the pr-msvc-support branch.

Hey, I have more stuff that I would like to add, but given that it
has been virtually impossible to get any patch review for Windows stuff
(Ralf has been the only one doing it, thanks!), maybe, just maybe,
we shouldn't add too much to the plate? Which is also the reason why
I have been mostly ignoring anything new on the Windows front. Sorry
about the silence.

There is already enough pending stuff, IMHO. Let's just get that out
the door first. That may be frustrating for you, but the alternative
is frustrating for me which is worse - of course :-)

I've had enough frustration here, methinks.

Cheers,
Peter