Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:03:06 +0200

Den 2010-06-08 15:40 skrev Christopher Hulbert:
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Peter Rosin<address@hidden>  wrote:
I've had enough frustration here, methinks.

Sorry for my contribution to your frustration. I would just like to
see windows support in the mainstream to be done right, and the
attitude of "just get that out the door first" doesn't seem to be an
approach in the right direction. I realize you have done a lot of work
on that branch, and I am not trying to subvert it or criticize it. I
was just trying to make the Windows libtool support better.

But you are subverting it and you are criticizing it when you say
that it should "be done right". Of course it can be done better. That's
true of all software. But you have to understand that I'm at a point
where I since long have stopped adding new stuff since the pending
queue is too long. It should be no surprise that I'm not happy to see
others butt in and defer the queue even further.

Since the consensus seems to be to merge the pr-msvc-support branch,
then perhaps you should find problems with it now rather than wait
for it to be merged? You seem to want someone to look at your work
to check if it fits with what's pending, and adjust so that your
stuff merges easily later. But I get the feeling that we are past
that stage and am not really interested in going back to the drawing
board. I want to start using what's already implemented first. So
if you want your work to fit with the future of libtool you will
have to address specific issues now instead of the above hand-waving
with the implication that the pending stuff is somehow bad.

I'm biased of course, but you all know that.

I guess in the end, it doesn't matter to me. I will continue to do
whatever I am doing. Sorry for the noise.

Sorry if I'm stepping on toes here, but somehow this is a rather
sensitive subject to me...

Oh, and I will be much more open to collaboration once the branch
has been merged. That's a promise.

Cheers,
Peter