Re: Link Time Optimization

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: Link Time Optimization
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:54:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, David wrote:

On Martes 24 Agosto 2010 21:32:13 Ralf Wildenhues escribió:
* Vincent Torri wrote on Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 09:23:26PM CEST:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Vincent Torri wrote on Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:25:12PM CEST:
I Cc:ed you on the thread, was that wrong?  How can we reach you?

Please answer this.  Without somebody to ask about WinCE we *can* *not*
support it.

sorry, i don't really understand (my english is so ugly...). What do
oyu want, exactly ? a mail ?

English:

In order to be able to support Libtool on WinCE, we need somebody to be
able to test it regularly, for example before releases; also, we need to
be able to ask questions about it now and then.  Are you able to do this
for us?  I can try to ask questions in French, but it's not practical to
wait months for answers.  Thank you.

French:

Pour être en mesure de soutenir Libtool sur WinCE, nous avons besoin de
quelqu'un pour être de pouvoir le tester régulièrement, par exemple,
avant de presse; aussi, nous devons être en mesure de poser des
questions à ce sujet ici et là. Êtes-vous capable de le faire pour nous?
Je peux essayer de poser des questions en français, mais ce n'est pas
pratique pour attendre des mois pour obtenir des réponses. Merci.
(Cela a été traduit translate.google.com)

Instead of relying in only one person and possibly waiting for his response,
how about to start supporting it in all other arches and disabling it on
untested arches like WinCE? For example in compile time, or so on.
That's just an idea, but I feel like lto is something that is sufficient
important to be tested as soon as possible, and, imho, gives as a new
interesting level of optimization.

Things can also be automated a bit. Cross compilation can be done with buildbot on a server, for example. That can speed up things.

Vincent Torri