libtool and Cuda

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: libtool and Cuda
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:28:43 -0500

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 14:12, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Is there any documentation for this anywhere, I can't find anything in
>> the online manual nor info document and a quick Google search only
>> leads me to the release notes for 2.2.8?
>
> Well, the support is basically
> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?id=741a9867eb71eb258ca1ed5b85bc7f03ce864195>
> and comes from this discussion:
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.autoconf.general/12000/focus=7006>

Thanks.

> Other patches posted for improved Cuda support in autotools had to be
> ignored so far because submitters were not able or willing to assign
> copyrights.
>
> What are you missing, what is not working?

I was just wondering what is available as about 18 months ago we added
some Cuda code to one of our projects and have found that the build
isn't working with more recent versions of Cuda. We have rules such as
the following to build .c files from the .cu that are then compiled:

SUFFIXES = .cu .c
.cu.c:
        @nvcc -cuda --host-compilation=c $(INCLUDES) $(CPPFLAGS) --output-file
$@ $<

it seems that in newer cuda versions the --host-compilation option has
been dropped so we need to approach this differently. As the
libtool-2.2.8 ChangeLog mentioned initial support for Cuda I was
interested in how to use this, i.e. if we specify the Cuda source file
in the list of SOURCES will libtool call nvcc appropriately?

Cheers

Adam