Re: Installing libtool 1.5 and 2.2.6a on Linux at the same time

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Installing libtool 1.5 and 2.2.6a on Linux at the same time
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 19:56:26 +0200

Hello Yersinia,

* yersinia wrote on Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 06:00:40PM CEST:
> A question probably  banal so i apologize in advance but i have not
> found any clue.

It's not a trivial question at all.

> I'm trying to install on Linux(RHEL5) at the same time, as you can do
> with automake and autoconf, libtool 2.2.6a with libtool 1.1.5 on FHS
> directories (with --prefix /usr) . But it is not enough use the -
> program-suffix=-2.2.6 to  configure: libltdbl for example could
> overwrite the library of the e other version. What should I supposed
> to do?

Unfortunately, it does not really work to install different Libtool
versions below the same prefix without further ugliness.  We usually
suggest having separate --prefix values, and installing all of Autoconf,
Automake, and Libtool under each of those prefixes.

You can also use a separate prefix for each of them, but then you might
have to fiddle with adding include directory paths to aclocal such as
with the dirlist feature (info Automake "Macro Search Path").

Another good recommendation is to just not use Libtool 1.5.x or earlier
any more.  There really isn't any good reason for sticking to those
versions except packages that haven't updated yet and need some
adjustment.  For them, if updating is nontrivial please feel free to
post here asking for advice.  We would like those packages to update.

Hope that helps.