Re: module libposix

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: module libposix
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:47:44 +0200

Hi Bruce,

* Bruce Korb wrote on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00:37AM CEST:
> I seem to be missing something and can't quite figure it out.
>
> I get these messages during autoreconf:
>
> >>build_libposix> autoreconf
> >configure.ac:29: required file `build-aux/ltmain.sh' not found

Use -i to have things installed; or run libtoolize beforehand.

> >libposix/Makefile.am: object `pt_chown.$(OBJEXT)' \
> > created both with libtool and without
> >autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
>
> My configure.ac looks like this:

> The piece of the Makefile.am that is causing trouble is:
>
> > ## begin gnulib module pt_chown
> >
> > # TODO: Add rules for installing as setuid root (chown root, chmod
> > a=rx,u+s).
> > # The next line can be removed once we assume automake >= 1.11.
> > pkglibexecdir = $(libexecdir)/@PACKAGE@
> > pkglibexec_PROGRAMS = pt_chown
> > pt_chown_LDADD = libposix.la
> >
> > EXTRA_DIST += pt_chown.c pty-private.h
> >
> > EXTRA_libposix_la_SOURCES += pt_chown.c

The program pt_chown wants to have pt_chown.$(OBJEXT) compiled without
libtool, and libposix_la wants pt_chown.lo compiled with libtool, and
the latter will also create pt_chown.$(OBJEXT).

You can work around this by letting automake rename one of the two,
which it will do in the presence of, e.g., per-target flags:
  pt_chown_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS)

See info Automake "Libtool Issues" for more information on both issues.