Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: 2.4 Release in 24hrs
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:31:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Charles Wilson wrote:

Odd.  My last test on MinGW was very successful. This was version 1.3266
(ef56e98f3 IIRC).  I'll give it another go @ f0584085.

MinGW/MSYS:
old -- All 122 tests passed (2 tests were not run)
new -- 108 tests behaved as expected.  12 tests were skipped.

With Charles Wilson's assistance, I updated my MinGW environment to the latest, but using the latest TDM GCC 4.5.1 compiler (only C & C++ supported).

These were the results:

ERROR: 102 tests were run,
6 failed (4 expected failures).
18 tests were skipped.

The test which failed (twice) was the C++ exception handling test. Similar tests also failed in the GraphicsMagick test suite so it seems that C++ exceptions are unreliable with this compiler.

As a side note, I find that the GNU make delivered with current MinGW is at least 60X slower than before. It takes GNU make 2.5 minutes before it does any actual work (while building GraphicsMagick), which represents most of the compilation time with the previous make. A one-year old Cygwin make takes maybe 1.5 seconds to start working when given the same environment.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn