Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:17:00 +0200

Hello Alon,

* Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:53:36AM CEST:
> > - Sysroot support. This allows you to build cross-compiled packages
> > with the same prefix that will be used on the destination machine,
> > and still find dependent libraries under the compiler's "sysroot".
> > Without sysroot support, paths internal to the build system may leak
> > into the product of the build.
> >
> > Sysroot support is disabled unless the --with-sysroot configure
> > option is passed to configure, because .la files generated with
> > sysroot support will not be usable in general with older Libtools.
>
> This is great news!
> Can you please explain how this feature works?

Really good question.  We didn't manage to update the documentation in
time.  :-(

You pass '--with-sysroot $sysroot' to configure.  This should enable the
machinery.

> I see '=' is added to the prefix of .la files.
> This suggests *ALL* packages compiled into sysroot must be migrated to
> libtool 2.4.

Well, not necessarily.  'libtool --mode=finish' has new functionality to
remove the '=' prefixes from libraries passed to it explicitly.  Of
course, at that point, the .la files are not suitable for use in the
sysroot any more, just on the final system.

> Also, why not take the value of the sysroot from the DESTDIR automake
> variable?

Because we know DESTDIR far too late, only at 'make install' time and
not yet at the time we link against dependent libraries (that may
already be installed below the sysroot).

Hope that helps.  And yes, we really should fix the documentation for
2.4.2.