Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.4 released [stable]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:19:01 +0200

On 09/27/2010 03:41 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
ā€ˇThanks for the explanation!

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Ralf Wildenhues<address@hidden>  wrote:
Also, why not take the value of the sysroot from the DESTDIR automake variable?

Because we know DESTDIR far too late, only at 'make install' time and
not yet at the time we link against dependent libraries (that may
already be installed below the sysroot).

But you do relink the libraries when 'make install' is executed.
So why not relink it with proper sysroot?

Because if you removed sysroot syntax upon "make install", you would not be able to link future code with the newly-installed library.

Note that it's perfectly possible to use .la files on the final system that didn't go through "libtool --mode=finish", as long as all the packages you compile are upgraded to Libtool 2.4 (and IIUC, cygwin's packaging system for example is already re-libtoolizing each package, so it's not that hard to do this).

Paolo