g++ library problem

From: Norton Allen
Subject: g++ library problem
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:14:34 -0500

I've been developing a couple C++ libraries using autoconf/automake and
libtool under QNX. The previous release of QNX used libtool 1.5.26, and
the current release is using libtool 2.2.6. libtool appears to have
changed how it creates C++ libraries between those releases, most
notably by starting to use the -nostdlib option. This causes the link
step to fail because there are a number of standard directories in the
library search path that are thrown out with -nostdlib.

How is this supposed to work? Should libtool know about these other
directories and somehow add them back with -L? How is libtool supposed
to know about these directories? For what it's worth, g++
-print-search-dirs does not list these directories. QNX says that's
because the library paths are added in the target's LINK_SPEC -- I don't
actually know what they're talking about.

I can work around the problem by explicitly adding these directories in
with -L, but that requires a platform-specific patch to the build
process, which is what I was trying to avoid by using libtool, so I'd
like to figure out how to get this to work correctly.