Re: Version mismatch error

From: Dan Nicholson
Subject: Re: Version mismatch error
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:43:04 -0800

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Ralf Wildenhues
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Sergio,
>
> * Sergio Belkin wrote on Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 06:33:17PM CEST:
>> I have project with autotools made on Ubuntu, but when I want to
>> compile on CentOS it ends with error:
>>
>> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6b
>> Debian-2.2.6b-2ubuntu1, but the
>> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.10.
>> libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool
>> 2.2.6b Debian-2.2.6b-2ubuntu1
>> libtool: and run autoconf again.
>>
>> I was using   2.2.10 (compiled) on CentOS. Is there not compatibility
>> between 2.2.x releases. Is there not a way to make it works with any
>> libtool 2.2.x?
>
> The 2.2.x releases are all compatible in the sense that the command-line
> API between them is upward-compatible.  However, the version from which
> the libtool.m4 and ltversion.m4 (and a couple more files) macros are
> taken, and the file ltmain.sh is from, must be exactly identical.  The
> API between ltmain and the macros is mostly an internal detail and not
> guaranteed to remain stable between releases.  So if you re-libtoolize,
> copying in a new ltmain.sh, you need to also ensure that the new macros
> are used.
>
> Depending on your package setup, that means either passing --install to
> libtoolize (when AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR has been set in configure.ac), or
> running aclocal with flags set so that it finds the right Libtool macros
> (either by some -I include-path, or setting the path in the dirlist file
> of the aclocal installation), or possibly hand-copying macro files or
> file contents to your aclocal.m4 file.  Details are documented in the
> manual.

Hi Ralf,

It would nice if libtoolize when run without --install (e.g. when run
by autoreconf without --install) would detect that ltmain.sh and
libtool.m4 are out of sync and error. One of the most common autotools
errors I see is that people run bare autoreconf and things break
strangely (to them) some time later. What do you think?

--
Dan