Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Dan Nicholson
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:10:29 -0800

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Bruce Korb <address@hidden> wrote:
> `guile-config link` yields that string.  In fact, it yields:
>
>> -L/usr/local/lib -lguile -lltdl -L/usr/local/lib64  -lgmp -lcrypt -lm -lltdl
>> -lm -ldl
>
> NOTE: " -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib64 " gets inserted some how.

Well, that's broken. I thought you said there were no 64 bit objects
in /usr/local/lib? How do you expect to link to the libltdl in both
/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib64? Libtool is only doing what it's
being told to do.

> Also, I thought the -L options were searched most recent to oldest,
> but I am likely forgetting.  In any case, how come it got expanded to a
> full path when it was not a full path in the original set of arguments?
> By expanding the path, it is perforce overriding the actions of the
> linker, even if the linker were to do the same thing.  Seems suspicious
> to me.

There is a libtool archive (.la file) associated with one or more of
those libraries. I'm guessing libguile.la and/or libintl.la are there.
Libtool will use the absolute paths from the associated libraries and
their listed dependencies to take the linker search path out of the
equation.

--
Dan