Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a cho

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: How does one specify linking to 64 bit libraries when there is a choice?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:22:05 +0100

On 12/20/2010 03:59 PM, Bruce Korb wrote:
Hi Andy, Ralf, et al.,
(With my Fedora Packaging Committee member hat on) In Fedora
and RHEL, users are supposed to pass
  --libdir=/usr/lib64 to configure
on x86_64 and
It is unclear that you-all can do otherwise, without having OSX-style
mixed word size combined libraries.
Fedora + RHEL (and many other Linux distros) apply multilibs and multiarching instead of "fat binaries".

   Autoconf does need to get
involved and work with libtool to get the information passed through.
Well, I am not sure what you are asking. --libdir (installation directory) and "path to libraries to link to" (linker's library path) actually are independent.

The former is a user-/system-integrator provided setting, which may take arbitrary values.

The latter is a system's internal implementation detail - If libtool can't avoid exposing these implicit details, it has to examine the tools being involved internal settings (In case of Fedora/RHEL: gcc). Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell libtool doesn't do so, so far. The same consideration applies to applications/application configure scripts who want to guess for a "system's" libdir.

Wrt. autoconf: There have repeatedly been discussion on letting autoconf provide different defaults for libdir on 64bit targets, but ... ... besides that guessing on system defaults is difficult, do you realize that the setting autoconf provides are simply defaults, user will almost always have to change?