Re: How to create only executable files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to create only executable files
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 07:34:13 +0100

Hello Sergio,

* Sergio Belkin wrote on Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:13:16PM CET:
> I've found great the option "-no-install". But I wonder if is there a
> way to build directly the executables files, I mean that don't create
> object file "something.o" and only do something.o

You mean creating an executable directly from source file(s)?
No, Automake doesn't really support that.  You can try to write
a rule that passes foo.c to 'libtool --mode=link', but since we
don't test that I'm guessing that it won't work reliably.

What's the point of this anyway?  AFAIK the only thing you save
by omitting the object file is one fork&exec of the compiler driver,
which is often negligible compared with the actual work the compiler
and linker do.  You can 'make mostlyclean' to remove object files
you don't need again afterwards.