how to debug unexpected dependency

From: Mirko Vukovic
Subject: how to debug unexpected dependency
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:31:04 -0500

Hello,

A build of mpc on 64-bit RHEL5 fails.  I tracked down the cause to an entry in libmpc.la file:

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' /usr/local/lib/libmpfr.la /home/nini/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.7.0/platforms/linux64/gmp-5.0.1/lib/libgmp.la /usr/local/lib/libgmp.la'

The second entry (OpenFOAM) is related to an OpenFoam installation elsewhere on my machine.
If I edit the la file and remove that entry, the build completes.

I looked in my environment variables, and other places I could think of, but I cannot figure out where this
dependency is coming from.

I am looking for ideas on how to debug this condition.

Thank you,

Mirko