Re: Shared library versioning

From: Lasse Collin
Subject: Re: Shared library versioning
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:26:42 +0300

On 2011-06-14 Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Lasse Collin wrote:
> > Please read the section "Understanding shared libraries
> > number rules" (it's short):
> >
> >    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/specialtopics.html
>
> If this web page text is correct, then I agree that libtool is doing
> the wrong thing for OpenBSD.  But of course we should search for any
> additional information and consult with relevant OpenBSD maintainers
> before making any such change since FAQ text could easily be wrong.

The FAQ is correct. Talking with maintainers can still be good, of
course.

Note that the problem applies to all *BSDs; it's not limited to OpenBSD.
See my bug report and the references in it:

I think a similar versioning bug affects HP-UX. The versioning looks
suspicious on a few other operating systems too. See my first message in
this thread:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2011-06/msg00006.html

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode