Re: Shared library versioning

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Shared library versioning
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:16:59 -0500

On 2011-06-14 Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Lasse Collin wrote:
Please read the section "Understanding shared libraries
number rules" (it's short):

    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/specialtopics.html

If this web page text is correct, then I agree that libtool is doing
the wrong thing for OpenBSD.  But of course we should search for any
additional information and consult with relevant OpenBSD maintainers
before making any such change since FAQ text could easily be wrong.

The FAQ is correct. Talking with maintainers can still be good, of
course.

Changing versioning schemes is "hard". It will break binary compatibility for anyone who has built software themselves outside of ports etc.

Before doing this I'd really want to get input from the various BSD folks.

Thanks,
Peter