Re: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't crea

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't create the shared one under Windows
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:36:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
different functions (_foo vs _imp__foo). So IMO creating a static library
when libtool was requested to build a DLL is never the right thing to do
under Windows. And while I hesitate to call this behaviour a bug because it
is clearly intentional, I'd like to see it changed because it would have
saved me (and presumably others) a lot of time if libtool simply stopped
with an error after giving the above message instead of valiantly but
ultimately counterproductively trying to continue.

In what way was libtool specifically requested to build a DLL?

There are certainly cases where proceeding ahead with a static library is a viable solution. If libtool simply refuses to proceed, then many applications will fail to build and users will also be unhappy.

What happens if you specify --disable-static to configure? Does that help?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn