Re[2]: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't c

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re[2]: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't create the shared one under Windows
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:15:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

BF> In what way was libtool specifically requested to build a DLL?

I'm not sure about the details (please keep in mind that we're speaking
about libxml2 here and not my own project) but configure[*] is passed
--disable-static option and AFAIK this is handled by AM_PROG_LIBTOOL as
meaning that [only] shared libraries should be built, isn't it?

It does seem like falling back to building a static library when --disable-static has been specified is a bug.

IOW I don't think an example when proceeding ahead is a viable solution is
possible. Do you have anything concrete in mind?

As it happens, GCC under MinGW and Cygwin does have an "auto-import" facility which magically allows it to work for code built with GCC. Explicit dllexport/dllimport is not needed. It does not work for MSVC and might not work if GCC is linking against a MSVC-built DLL/library.

BF> If libtool simply refuses to proceed, then many applications will fail
BF> to build and users will also be unhappy.

Again, I don't think such change could break anything because applications
that would rely on this behaviour wouldn't build even right now.

I have experienced such issues before but my own application did still build and work.

A library which is expected to be loaded by another program such as a DLL or loadable module would obviously be broken by static linkage.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn