Re: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't crea

From: Marco atzeri
Subject: Re: libtool shouldn't switch to creating static library if it can't create the shared one under Windows
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:03:23 +0200

On 6/17/2011 4:14 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
On 6/17/2011 3:46 AM, Marco atzeri wrote:
on cygwin

"lt_cv_deplibs_check_method=pass_all"

is my workaround at configure stage to bypass incorrect
libtool detection of system capabilities and to allow
shared libs building.

It's not about "system capabilities" in this case. It's about the fact
that this -- creating a shared library by linking against existing
static libraries -- is a really bad idea.

If any of those static libs (a) exports a data item, and (b) is used by
more than one DLL in your stack, then you'll end up with two different
copies of the data item, and one DLL will use the first copy while the
other DLL will use the second copy.

Sorry Chuck,
but I can assure you that I am linking against shared dlls,
but the detection is incorrect.

I know that octave on cygwin is an extreme case due its
number of dependencies, but it is not the only case.

Of course my knowledge of libtool is limited and eventually
there is another way but I never found it.

--
Chuck

Marco