Libtool, rpath, and libGL.so

From: Andy Spencer
Subject: Libtool, rpath, and libGL.so
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 05:30:06 +0000

I'm building a library of mine on Fedora 64-bit and running into some
problems. I'm running configure as follows:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64

The problem is that the wrong version of libGL.so is being used at
runtime. The correct version is /usr/lib64/nvidia/libGL.so.* but any
application built against my library uses /usr/lib64/libGL.so.* instead.

This seems to be caused by libtool adding a -rpath flag which forces the
application to use the /usr/lib64 version provided by mesa even though
ld.so.conf has been properly configured to use the nvidia version.

I can fix the problem for other programs by manually deleting all the
.la files provided by my library after I install it. However, my library
also comes with a demo program which is compiled along side the library
and I don't know how to make that use the correct version of libGL.

Is there any way to prevent the demo program from getting build with a
rpath, or are there any other ways to fix this?