Re: Several questions about libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Several questions about libtool
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 13:04:18 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

This is still an issue, libtool always adds all dependencies. Many packages assume this and don't explicitly add required dependencies to Makefile.am etc. I don't recall the arguments for not changing this when building shared. IIRC Scott tried to include Debian's patch at some point. I'll look it up in the archives later.

Some systems (e.g. GNU Linux) add library implicit dependencies at link time while others (e.g. Solaris) only seem to add them at run-time and will fail to link if the dependencies are not also listed. Some systems require that no symbols remain unresolved in order to produce a shared library.

Libtool's mode of operation works with static builds and on systems where all libraries have to be supplied at link time.

Perhaps the default should be --enable-shared --disable-static? It's worth considering.

Each package has control over these defaults. My own package defaults to --disable-shared --enable-static because shared libraries should not link with static libraries. Since a shared build implies more responsibility, I defaulted to the fail-safe option.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn