Re: Several questions about libtool

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Several questions about libtool
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 13:58:13 -0600

These questions are quite common, and what they really come down to is that many (or most) users want to solve a *different problem* than the one that Libtool was designed to solve.

Libtool will deal with the platform specific vagaries of shared libraries in a uniform manner.  It isn't designed to easily expose features of *some* specific shared library implementions, but attempts to support the largest common subset of features.
If you have a fairly simple packge that includes libraries, you may be able to build & run it on CygWin with no changes (for example), and that is what Libtool was designed to do.

Some that you mention below could be dealt with by adding them as new features.