Re: Single static library from multiple Libtool .a files

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Single static library from multiple Libtool .a files
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:33:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Nate Bargmann wrote:

For some reason, that I have yet to understand, his static build
succeeded with all the backends in libdir but fails with them in pkgdir.
In my opinion, it would be better to be able to provide him with a
single .a library that includes the entirety of the frontend and backend
libraries.  Right now I am at a loss on how to accomplish this with
Libtool.  Perhaps Libtool is not the way to accomplish this as suggested
by the Automake documentation and perhaps a specific Makefile target is
needed to build the single archive?

Libtool does support "convenience" archive libraries which appear as static archive libraries but are only used when building and are never installed. When an application or library links with such a convenience library, it is the same as including all of the contained .o files. The contained .o files are extracted from the archive and are applied the same as if they were derived from local source files.

I think you would need to use Automake conditionals to decide if a backend library should be an installable shared library or if it should be an uninstallable convenience library used while building an installable library. This is all controllable via Automake so please consult tha Automake documentation.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn