Re: Broken workflow

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Broken workflow
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:25:48 -0600

[adding bug-gnulib]

On 03/16/2012 04:19 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> Can anything be done to make things work in a git checkout without
>>> having git available after bootstrap?  Please?
>>
>> It should already be possible.  To skip that check, run:
>>
>> make check gl_public_submodule_commit=
>
> Given that libtool is often tested using temporary unprivileged login
> accounts on default (or almost default) OS footprints, it is definitely
> a bad thing if testing libtool expects an exotic tool like 'git'.  Often
> it is possible to transfer files to the remote machine, but it is not
> possible to connect from that machine to the Internet due to firewall
> policies.  Even if it is possible to access the Internet, it may be
> difficult to add more software packages to the remote machine.

If you have a better idea for a heuristic to add to gnulib's maint.mk
that would skip the test if git is not available or if a firewall
appears to be in the way, rather than outright failing, I'm all ears.
Having to manually override the gnulib test is okay, but automating that
would be even nicer.  Also, be aware that this check only runs if you
are using GNU make; on platforms where you are using the native make
tool, this check won't ever fire.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266