Re: Libtool: license is GPL v2 or later

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Libtool: license is GPL v2 or later
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:15:39 +0700

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your interest in GNU Libtool.

I'm redirecting this conversation to the libtool mailing list, as there are
many other people
here who will also be interested in the answer to this question.

On 10 Apr 2012, at 01:18, Christophe Jarry wrote:
> I browsed
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libtool.git;a=blob_plain;f=build-aux/ltmain.m4sh;hb=HEAD
> today and I wondered why this file and others were under version 2 of the GNU
> GPL.

Well it is under version 2 or greater, with a special exception to allow
bundling the files
necessary to run libtool inside a non-GPL project that wishes to use libtool to
help with
library compilation.

> As far as I know, there is now a version 3 of the GNU GPL that does more to
> enforce user freedom than version 2. Is there a particular reason why you use
> version 2 instead of version 3 in those files?

Yes there is, and our GPL v2+ (with exception) is actually fully compatible
with GPLv3 projects
if that is your worry.

Regarding our tardiness with moving libtool wholesale to GPLv3+, that is due
mainly to not yet
having a carefully reworded version of our license exception written by the GNU
legal team.  But,
don't worry, it is on the radar, and will come in due course.

Gary V. Vaughan (gary AT gnu DOT org)