Re: mingw-w64's libuuid.a : *** Warning: linker path does not have real

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: mingw-w64's libuuid.a : *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -luuid.
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 18:43:58 +0200

On 2012-07-21 14:49, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 2012-07-21 13:16, Vincent Torri wrote:
>>> another solution is to just kill the stupid .la file. There is
>>
>> I don't think the .la file is stupid as it lists other important
>> dependencies.
>
> so what ? There is a HUGE problem, here. Currently, if a lib uses
> symbols in libuuid, it just can't be used to create progs/shared lib
> because the .la file lists it while it should (must) not. Static libs
> must not appear in the dependency_libs field.

Oh, but static libs do need to be listed in dependency_libs as long
as there is no other place to put them. That, or static linking is not
working well at all. I'm not willing to sacrifice static linking.

>>> absolutely NO reason to add to the linker static libraries that are
>>> ONLY used in my Evil library and that are not used elsewhere.
>>>
>>> I think that it is the best solution
>>
>> That disables (easy) static linking. I, as a library author, do not
>> like to make that policy decision for the application author.
>
> on Windows  DLL are good. I already pass --disable-static to all my
> Windows builds.

That has been argued elsewhere, but I can still see the value of the
other side. So again, I, as a library author, do not like to shove that
policy decision down the throat of my library consumers.

Cheers,
Peter