Re: conditionally disabling libltdl subconfigure

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: conditionally disabling libltdl subconfigure
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:07:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Brice Goglin wrote:

Hello,

I am working at embedding libltdl inside our project (hwloc, an Open MPI
subprojet). Our plugins are not expected to be enabled in the most
common cases. So I am trying to see if the libltdl sub-configure could
be skipped entirely unless really needed (when plugins are enabled, and
libltdl is indeed built). I got the usual failure when I tried to put
LTDL_INIT inside a conditional block so I am looking for something else now.

While it does not accomplish exactly what you are looking for, the GraphicsMagick project (as an example) successfully uses the nonrecursive option so that the configure bits needed to configure libltdl are included into the primary configure script. The libltdl configuration then vastly less expensive since it just adds a few more tests and not a whole configure script and whole new Makefile.in. This approach causes the combined configure script to include some libltld-specific configuration options. It is good that these options are offered by the top-level configure since they will then appear in configure --help and the user is not left to guess about options which might be useful for subordinate configures.

This is in configure.ac:

LTDL_INIT([convenience nonrecursive])

and this in Makefile.am

include libltdl/Makefile.inc

where Makefile.inc is a makefile fragment from libltdl.

The project can then choose not to request to build libltdl even though it was configured.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn